Monday, December 17, 2012

Here Lately

Well, kids, where do I begin? My senior year flew by faster than you can say "Boomer!" and before I knew it, it was August 16th and I was moving into my college dorm. Let me set the scene by telling you all the thoughts going through my head at this time. I graduated in the top percentage of my class, so I was worried about what I was going to make of myself at OU. I knew my strengths and weaknesses academically, and I also knew it was going to be a bit different than the classes at Bethel High. I was also worried about making friends. Now, let me tell you, I'm no wallflower but at a university with thousands of people you have to wonder where you'll end up, ya know? Of course, some friends I graduated with also came to OU so I wouldn't be completely alone, but I knew we couldn't stay high school buddies forever. There was also the whole "are you rushing?" question that literally every person I came in contact with asked. I had considered it, yes, but I decided not to. Sometimes I still wonder if I made the right choice on that. I mean, all throughout high school people would say "Tyler you're such a frat boy" simply because of the fact that I wore Polo and Sperry Top Siders, but maybe I just liked looking classy as shit all the time. Can you blame me? Anyway, I'm now a GDI (google it) and I guess that's the way it's gonna be for now. So that was a rant...moving on! In one of the organizations I'm in on campus, we wrote letters to our future selves to be delivered to us at the end of the year. I remember writing something like "don't be so quick to judge people right upon meeting them.", and I think I've accomplished that. The main reason I reach such quick conclusions about people I meet is because, I, myself always worry about what people think of me. I'm trying to work on that whole not caring what others think thing. Jumping ahead, I was walking into the bottom of the dorm one day, and I ran into the president of the tower, and she encouraged me to come to a "RSA" meeting. RSA stands for Resident Student Association, and I'm so incredibly thankful I ran into Kristen Cash that afternoon. In this group of students, we discuss events to be hosted, how to hype fellow students up throughout the semester, and discuss issues of residence hall life. I can honestly say I've met some of the greatest people on campus through RSA. Heck, I even found three roommates for the next school year. Needless to say, we've all gotten really close and I appreciate them all. As the semester went on, and midterms and finals started rearing their ugly heads, we all sort of used each other for support and encouragement. Oh yeah, let's talk about finals, shall we? In high school I NEVER had to worry about my grades. I viewed Bs as terrible grades on report cards. These days I'm jumping for joy at the sight of a B. I hate math with every fiber of my being and I'm not afraid to say it. Math1643 aka Precalculus for Business, Life, and Social Sciences really bit me in the butt this semester.  I would hear people say "I got a 94 on my test"and I'm over here with my not 94 giving them the stank face. College really made me question my academic ability, and just because of one measly little class. Some days I would leave the class feeling dazed and confused. The days I didn't I felt like a genius because I could answer a problem being worked out on the board in my head correctly. Finishing the semester with a GPA not starting with a 4 kind of took a toll on me, but I'm trying to remember that college, again, is not like high school at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment